Saturday, September 22, 2007

What Am I Doing Here?

I wanted to title this "They Laughed When I Sat Down at the Keyboard," but I couldn't think of a way to justify the title. Perhaps another time ...

One of the main reasons I post here is to float material from a book that may or may not be titled The Real Writing Life. But that's maybe a quarter of the postings. Otherwise, this blog is largely self-entertainment, so it's not all that serious. But I do have a serious need to share some of the experiences of living life as a writer who has no other income. (What's that? The ads here? AdSense says it owes me five bucks for the past 10 months' clicks. The point of AdSense isn't to make ten million dollars while I sleep. The point is research, though it would be nice to make ten million dollars while I sleep, like the books promise. What the heck--I sleep too much, anyway!)

Bits of what I have to share could be important to some people. It depends on who you are and what you're doing. Maybe my advice on collaboration (still to come), or tales of getting ripped off or quicky ways to get magazine assignments will benefit a few readers. If so, good. If not ... well, I hope some of this is entertaining.

Anyway, there's a lot more to come. I haven't gotten to the groupies yet, nor the big "I told you so" from my seventh-grade English teacher. Then there's surviving the theft of a quarter-million dollars, being ostracized by certain family members with Appalachian antecedents, what it's really like to have 200 people waiting for your autograph, and lots more, some of which hasn't happened yet.
--Mike
http://www.michaelabanks.com

No comments: