Wednesday, October 01, 2008

"People tell me I look younger than I really am..."

Being between books and still too distracted to settle down to the magazine articles I need to write, I've been browsing the Web (as who hasn't?) and came across some singles' sites. Looking at how some people describe themselves is almost like watching an episode of "The Mentalist" because they often say more about themselves than they intended.

For example, quite a few singles (more women than men) include the line "People tell me I look younger than I really am" in their descriptions. If you look younger than you really are, your (carefully chosen) photos should show it. Hitting potential suitors over the head with the obvious is hard-sell, and saying it when it's obviously not true makes you a wishful liar. Worse, it leads many to infer that you have this "thing" about aging and turns off anyone near your age. (Hint: let the other person decide how old or young you look for themselves.)

Then there are those who complain about "head games." What in the hell are "head games," as in "If you're into playing head games, just move on?" Near 's I can tell, the phrase came from the song, and while it is a great gut-wrencher to yell out during a hard rock singalong, that's about the sum total of its value. Nobody wants head games, any more than people want to have fingers amputated. That's a given, so why bother waving them off? As my friend MJ on one of the sites says, nobody ever asks for head games, like "You know, I haven't had a good mindfuck in a long time--come play some head games with me!" (Okay, politicians play head games, but that's their job!)

Next are the free spirits. I thought we got over the "free spirit" stuff in the early 1970s. As with "look younger" comment, you see this more with women than men. As I recall, 1960s free spirits were flighty girls who spent most of their time looking for someone to help them get high (i.e., score the dope). Funny that the women who label themselves thus are usually up-tight types; maybe they wish they could be whatever they define free spirits to be, or want to have that as an excuse to win arguements: "I'm a free spirit, so I can't agree with that." Oh, well.

Finally (for this outing) what are all those people who select "Other" in the employment category doing for a living? Are they waiting for their eBay businesses to take off so they won't have to look for a job?
--Mike http://www.michaelbanks.com/
Copyright 2008, Michael A. Banks

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

interesting but should you be quite so judgemental about people who put other where it comes to work. The days of morality about tje dignity of work- where in fact most of us are exploited tillwe drop dead- are coming to an end. If the guy wants to make money on e bay, good for him! Not everyone can achieve the American dream or maybe we should redefine it!

Have a nice day now