Monday, June 18, 2007

With Apologies to Lennon & McCartney ...

It is a little-known fact that the Beatles song "Rain" was based on a song written by Paul McCartney's sheepdog, Martha. In commemoration of Martha, who shared Paul's birth-date (June 18), here are Martha's original lyrics, later incorporated into "Rain" by Paul:
---
If the rain comes,
dogs run and hide their heads,
from the booming they all dread,
If the rain comes, if the rain comes.

When the sun shines,
they romp on the green grass
and gen'rally have a blast.
When the sun shines, when the sun shines.

Ra-a-a-a-i-n
I'll go hide.
Shi-i-i-i-i-ine
the weather's fine.

I can show you
that when it starts to rain
the carpet I will stain.
I can show you, I can show you.

(Chorus)

Can you hear me,
that when it rains and shines
it really blows my mind.
Can you hear me, can you hear me?

(Chorus, fade w/backward lyics)

--Mike
http://www.michaelbanks.com
Copyright © 2007, Michael A. Banks

No comments: