Wednesday, April 18, 2012

From Cover to Cover

Author input on the covers of their books varies. Usually it's none to little. In some instances, the author supplies possible illustrations, as was the case with my Crosely automobile history, shown here. That applies mainly to non-fiction. Novelists may suggest a scene to be illustrated, but rarely do they have anything more to do with a cover. (An exception: when the author knows an artist who is not only good, but also has experience with book covers.)

The system works; professional designers usually are better at creating covers than writers.

Occasionally you get a cover, you like it--and then it's changed. That's what happened last month with my newest book, Crosley and Crosley Motors: An Illustrated History of America's First Compact Car and the Company that Built It. (Yeah, that's a mouthful. I just shorthand it to Crosley and Crosley Motors.)

I like both cover images equally well. Crosley: A Fine Car has a slight edge on the final title in my mind, but I don't mind the change. And the lengthy subtitle does give the reader useful information.
--Mike
To order a copy from Amazon, click here.

No comments: